JOB VACANCIES AT UGANDA RAILWAYS CORPORATION
Uganda Railways Corporation (URC) is a body corporate established under the Uganda Railways (1992) Act to construct, operate and maintain railway, marine and road services both inside and outside Uganda for the carriage of passengers and goods.
URC is reinforcing its human capital to fulfil its mandate and as a result wishes to recruit suitably qualified and experienced candidate to fill the position in the Finance Department.
Accordingly, URC invites individuals with the pre-requisite qualifications to apply for the position indicated below:
Position: Senior Legal Officer – Litigation
Department: Legal Department
Reports to: Principal Legal Officer
Positions Supervised: Legal Officer (s)
To manage the Corporation’s litigation portfolio and ensure appropriate action is taken.
- Prosecute/ defend cases on behalf of the Corporation;
- Carry out required action in accordance with instructions and court time lines. This may include; investigating and gathering evidence, procuring the attendance of witnesses, review of pleadings, submitting an opinion to Management on the case; etc.
- Monitor the progress of court cases ensuring that cases are fast tracked for closure in the required timelines;
- Lead the drafting and review of contracts and Service Level Agreements (SLAs) between the Corporation and third party service providers’ especially legal service providers.
- Manage the Corporation’s external lawyers, review performance of services offered to the Corporation and monitor compliance of Service Level Agreements with the lawyers;
- Ensure all reports, and case monitoring tools are updated accurately on a timely basis;
- Carry out research to enhance success rates on legal cases for and against the Corporation;
- Represent the Corporation in courts of law or tribunals;
- Ensure safe custody of the Corporation’s legal documents and other records;
- Perform other duties assigned by your Supervisor or Management
- A Bachelors degree (Hons) in Law (LLB);
- Post graduate diploma in legal practice;
- Enrolled advocate of the High Court of Uganda and in possession of a valid practicing certificate;
- At least five years’ experience in court litigation gained from a busy law firm or corporate organisation handling litigation in-house.
Additional Skills and Competencies
- Attention to detail;
- Self-driven and results oriented;
- Strong analytical and negotiation skills;
- Good communication skills (verbal, written and presentation);
- Confidence and assertiveness;
- Ability to work under pressure and still exercise sound judgement.