Uganda Railways Corporation (URC) is a corporate organisation reporting to the Ministry of Works and Transport. It was established under the mandate of the Uganda Railways Corporation Act, Cap331 to carry out railway, marine and road services both in and outside Uganda for the carriage of Goods and Passengers. URC has a total track length network of 1,266Kms.
The operational sections of the track include;
- Malaba – Jinja – Kampala main line (251 km)
- Jinja-Jinja Pier (4km)
- Siding to Roofings Namanve
- Siding to Liberty ICD
- Siding to UGACOF
- Siding to SPEDAG
- Siding to Bollore Uganda
- Kampala – Port Bell (9km)
- Kampala – Nalukolongo (5km); and
- Tororo – Mbale(55km).
Non-operating sections include:
- Tororo – Gulu (Ongoing rehabilitation works)
- Gulu – Pakwach (Rehabilitation concept shared);
- Nalukolongo – Kasese (330km);
- Siding to Kilembe mines (4km);
- Siding to Hima Cement (11 km)
- Busoga loop (145 km).